TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Verizon FiOS

Verizon FiOS

William Cousert (williamcousert@gmail.com)
14 May 2005 13:03:35 -0700

I have a few qestions about Verizon's new FiOS service. It was
recently installed in my neighborhood and I'm thinking about switching
over from Comcast.

1. Does Verizon offer Usenet access with their accounts? Comcast only
offers a limited amount of bandwidth for Usenet and charges extra if
you exceed it.

2. Can I connect without using MSN?

3. I have three computers. Will they charge me extra for the
additional IP's? If so, how much?

4. Can I run a personal server? I'd like to be able to host my own
home page on it, as well as a message board. What about game servers
(quake 3, etc.)?

5. Will they offer cable tv services? I'd like to dump Comcast
completely. Will they have video on demand?

6. 15/2 service costs $49.95 per month. 30/5 costs $199.95 per
month. Twice the bandwidth, four times the price. Why such a big jump
in price? Can you get two 15/2 packages and join them together
(remember shotgun modems? You could have two 56k modems work as one)?

6a. Does the $199.95 package give you the right to run servers? Maybe
that's the reason for the big increase?

7. Can FiOS handle higher speeds in the future, or will they need to
replace the fiber once again when the next leap in speed comes?

8. Has anyone in this group made the jump from Comcast to FiOS? What
do you think so far?

Thanks,

-William Cousert

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?"
Go to Previous message: Lisa Minter: "Microsoft to Offer Anti-Virus Software, Service"
May be reply: Steve Sobol: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
May be reply: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
May be reply: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
May be reply: Joe Morris: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
May be reply: Neal McLain: "Re: Verizon FiOS"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page