TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?

Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?

Michael D. Sullivan (userid@camsul.example.invalid)
Sun, 15 May 2005 03:45:45 GMT

John Levine wrote:

>> Do today's cell phones have any option to do that?

> None that I've seen. Typically the A carrier is TDMA or GSM, and the
> B carrier is CDMA, so if you forced the phone to the other one it'd
> have to fall back to analog and cellco's don't like that.

My CDMA/Analog Kyocera 7135 can choose A preferred or B preferred; it
can also be set to analog only or digital only. Obviously, it won't
work on TDMA or GSM, but can be used on a manually forced analog A or
B. Not that I would have any interest in doing so, however, because I
would prefer to have more than a minute or two of battery life.

Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)
(Replace "example.invalid" with "com" in my address.)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Is the battery drain _that_ dramatic
between analog and digital (you said 'prefer to have more than a
minute or two of battery life'). PAT]

Go to Next message: Steven M. Scharf: "Re: Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?"
Go to Previous message: William Cousert: "Verizon FiOS"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Do Cell Phones Still Offer "A" and "B" Carriers?"