TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Spyware ... Ugh!

Re: Spyware ... Ugh!

jmeissen@aracnet.com
12 May 2005 16:29:24 GMT

In article <telecom24.209.7@telecom-digest.org>, <bob@coolgroups.com>
wrote:

> Did they change the name of Hijack This to Alertspy or is Alertspy
> something else?

No. Although certain spyware will try to prevent you from finding it.

It is always available here:
http://www.merijn.org/

Or, as it says on that page," Can't reach this page from a CWS
infected computer? Try using http://216.180.233.162/~merijn/index.html."

I've found it to be invaluable. I've used it enough that I can now
recognize what doesn't belong without asking for help. But if you
haven't used it before, read the FAQ! And then visit the forums.

john-

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Thanks for that helpful tip on where to
find 'HiJack This'. I think it is really pathetic how so many viruses
these days as their first order of business when they land on your
computer is set about trying to prevent you from being able to reach
AdAware and/or Spybot, and now, apparently, HiJack This as well. A
virus got into my Windows 2000 one day which absolutely forbade me to
download the latest definitions file through Spybot. I had to load a
brand new copy of Spybot on another computer, then transfer it in to
the (combo) Win2000/Linux machine with all the new definitions
intact. The net, they say, is supposed to be so much fun for
everyone. How do people actually use it without getting attacked daily
from so many directions by malware? Oops, I almost forgot: Many
netters tell us 'there is no consensus on what constitutes malicious
behavior, and there is no way to stop it, and anyway no one (read this
as _my friends_) want anything different.' Sigh ... PAT]

Go to Next message: John Riddell: "Telecom Update (Canada) #481, May 13, 2005"
Go to Previous message: lookemintheye: "Re: Any Free VoIP Internet-to-Telephone Calling Left?"
May be in reply to: bob@coolgroups.com: "Spyware ... Ugh!"