TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Grounding a Vonage System

Re: Grounding a Vonage System

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
28 Mar 2005 14:05:32 -0500

Alex Batson <batsona@comcast.net> wrote:

> I've just subscribed to Vonage and just hooked everything up. When I
> press a key to clear the dial-tone, the empty line has a bit of snowy,
> white-noise in the background. This isn't anything that sounds like
> electrical interference, and there's no 'hum' in the line actually.
> It's not 99% silent like my Verizon land-line is, but then again, that
> demarc is grounded, and my Vonage isn't.

Yes, this is there so that you know something is connected up.

> Question: 1.)How can I tell which lead is Tip, and which is Ring, and
> which one, if either, can I connect to a good earth-ground?

DO NOT DO THIS. The phone line is balanced. If you connect either leg
to ground, you will screw the balancing up.

What is grounded in the demarc is a surge suppression device, NOT the line.

> If I'm still off in left field, can someone give me a pointer or two,
> on how to lessen the snowy white-noise on a empty line?

Don't use the Cisco VoIP boxes.

--scott

Go to Next message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: What Happened To Channel 1"
Go to Previous message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Grounding a Vonage System"
May be in reply to: Alex Batson: "Grounding a Vonage System"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page