TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage

Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage

Danny Burstein (dannyb@panix.com)
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:39:15 UTC

( lots of earlier posts deleted. One left in for some context)

In <telecom24.98.3@telecom-digest.org> John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
writes:

>> They definitely have some problems in different parts of the country
>> but my service in the northeast has been rock solid. I wonder -- I
>> know I'm on a Paetec switch so is it a Focal issue?

> No, my service which became unsuably bad was switched by Paetec, too.

A bunch of people have grumbled about problems last week. It turns out
there was a Vonage system outage.

FYI, quoting from an AP dispatch:

"Vonage ... suffered an outage that left about half of its 500,000
subscribers without phone service for about 45 minutes.

"The outage was caused by a glitch with a software upgrade Thursday night,
said Brooke Schulz, a spokeswoman for Vonage Holdings Corp.

"The problem struck at about 2:45 p.m. EST, and Vonage stabilized the
network with a software patch within an hour...

"Vonage said about 50% of all inbound and outbound traffic was affected by
Friday's disruption.

To which I'd only add, "big deal. yawn." Unlike all the whiners who,
for some reason, love to point out each and every hiccup the
alternates run into.

(Although it will be of interest to see who, if anyone, in the
Vonage<->PSTN chain files the FCC reports.)

dannyb@panix.com

Go to Next message: John R. Levine: "Re: Vonage"
Go to Previous message: Marcus Didius Falco: "Identity Theft : What's in a Name? Economist.com"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: Thor Lancelot Simon: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: Tony P.: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: John Levine: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Vonage Outage Last Thursday, was: Vonage"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page