TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Bill Ranck (ranck@joesbar.cc.vt.edu)
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 22:12:09 UTC

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> Second, the traditional old line dept stores actually had considerable
> variety. The modern mgmt have eliminated a lot of departments and
> special services. Gimbels, for example, had a scouting/camping dept,
> art supplies dept, and bookstore.

>> I think this sort of gradual fade into irrelevance is what terrifies
>> the heads of Federated and (heavily-indebted) May. ...

> It's their own fault, and merger won't fix it, anymore than merging
> the Pennsylvania and New York Central railroads saved them.

It seems obvious to me that the traditional, old line, department
stores have been replaced by *malls*. No, it's not one big store with
clothing, furniture, housewares, and whatnot all under one name, but
effectively the malls today have all the same stuff in a series of
small independent or chain stores under one roof. It's better in some
ways because there will be competing stores in a mall selling similar
merchandise, while a department store does not have competing
departments.

So, it seems that malls have both centralized and de-centalized the
retail industry at the same time. The telecom industry seems to be
working its way toward that same kind of situation.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Go to Next message: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
Go to Previous message: John Levine: "Re: Nokia 6010 Reporting in to Mama -- Radio Interference?"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge"