TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Re: New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge

Henry (henry999@eircom.net)
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:48:51 +0200

<Wesrock@aol.com> wrote:

> ... in Kansas, and I have patronized several in Wellington ...

Ah -- Wellington, Kansas. I haven't thought about that town in years
but it holds a special spot in my life story. It was the first place I
was ever served in a bar, almost 40 years ago.

I was 16 years old and on a cross-country trip with my 17-year-old
high school buddy and his parents. The parents had friends in
Wellington and we stayed with them a night or two. One evening while
the old folks were gabbing, my pal and I went to check out the town.

We went into a bar where there wasn't much happening and started
playing pool. There was a sign on the wall that said something like:
'In order to play pool you must show your draft card" -- the draft card,
of course, being required in those days when a male turned 18.

Well, we shot pool for a while and nobody seemed bothered -- nobody
asked to see the cards, anyway -- so we started to wonder: If they
think we're 18, maybe we can get a beer? I still had some growing to
do at that point; I was about 5'3" and I wrestled in the 112-pound
class. My friend was taller, heavier and shaving every day, so he went
up to the bar while I sat at the table. By golly, a minute later there
he was, coming back with two bottles of Coors.

Cheers,

Henry

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Smile ... thanks for sharing
that. Kansas, like Chicago, IL, was a different place forty years ago,
but to a large extent, Kansas has been able to stay the way it was
'back then' ... I think what I like best about small town, Kansas is
that although almost everyone knows everyone else, we all tend to mind
our own business and expect others to do the same. The courtesy and
'laid back' attitudes around here are hard to find in larger cities.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Exp315@canada.com: "Last Laugh! Virgin Mobile Canada"
Go to Previous message: Dan Lanciani: "Re: Is Your Identity Safe?"
May be in reply to: Lisa Hancock: "New Monopoly in Dept Stores -- Federated and May Co to Merge"