TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: FCC Reaches Telco Settlement to Stop Blocking VOIP

Re: FCC Reaches Telco Settlement to Stop Blocking VOIP

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
4 Mar 2005 07:32:59 -0800

Danny Burstein wrote:

> "We saw a problem, and we acted swiftly to ensure that Internet voice
> service remains a viable option for consumers", said FCC Chairman
> Michael K. Powell.

I don't understand.

Why couldn't the consumers simply switch to another ISP? Why did the
FCC have to intervene?

Why does VOIP have to get special govt protection not normally offered
to other products and services in the free marketplace? In other
words, if my local store doesn't carry a particular product I want,
the govt won't come in and order that store to carry said product. I
simply have to go to another store. Consumers make choices like this
every day, choosing a dept store or supermarket for the things they
carry and service they offer.

Now if it was a regulated local telephone company that failed to pass
on calls I would understand since they have certain obligations being
a common carrier. But I don't believe ISPs have any common carrier
obligations nor privileges and thus ought to be free to do as they
please.

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Buyouts of AT&T, MCI Sign of Long Distance's Demise"
Go to Previous message: Scott Dorsey: "Re: Is Your Identity Safe?"
May be in reply to: Danny Burstein: "FCC Reaches Telco Settlement to Stop Blocking VOIP"