TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable

Re: TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable

J Kelly (jkelly@newsguy.com)
Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:09:39 -0600

On 1 Feb 2005 10:28:12 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> What bothers me is that there are two standards -- one for traditional
> broadcast TV and one for cable TV. I think both should be treated as
> the same.

> The claimed justified is that TV uses the "public airwaves" and TV
> reaches everyone freely while cable does not. But cable depends on
> "public airwaves" just as much as broadcast, only they use satellite
> signals to get their material.

So HBO shouldn't be allowed to air movies with nudity, simply because
they use a satellite? I disagree (strongly).

If the "entertainment industry" (and I use the term 'entertainment'
loosely) would just stop shoving crap down our throats none of this
would have happened. They don't need to use words like "bastard" or
"douche bag" on network TV during times when children might watch. I
think they should be *able* to use those words, or any others they
want, but they should voluntarily refrain from such shenanigans.

I do not believe in government censorship, and I know that the FCC
fining a station afterwards isn't technically censorship since they
didn't prevent the situation before the fact, but it has the same
result. But I think the idiots that run the "entertainment industry"
need to stop and think about what they are doing before they do it.
There is no reason for tits during the super bowl, and no reason for
sit com characters to call each other douche bags during prime time.

Go to Next message: CustmClr: "Re: Time Warner Cable to Offer Free AOL"
Go to Previous message: Charles Cryderman: "Re: $47,000 per Line Installation Cost"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable"