TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable

Re: TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable

Henry (henry999@eircom.net)
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:26:51 +0200

J Kelly <jkelly@newsguy.com> wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2005 10:28:12 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> What bothers me is that there are two standards -- one for traditional
>> broadcast TV and one for cable TV. I think both should be treated as
>> the same.

>> The claimed justified is that TV uses the "public airwaves" and TV
>> reaches everyone freely while cable does not. But cable depends on
>> "public airwaves" just as much as broadcast, only they use satellite
>> signals to get their material.

> So HBO shouldn't be allowed to air movies with nudity, simply because
> they use a satellite? I disagree (strongly).

> If the "entertainment industry" (and I use the term 'entertainment'
> loosely) would just stop shoving crap down our throats none of this
> would have happened. They don't need to use words like "bastard" or
> "douche bag" on network TV during times when children might watch. I
> think they should be *able* to use those words, or any others they
> want, but they should voluntarily refrain from such shenanigans.

> I do not believe in government censorship, and I know that the FCC
> fining a station afterwards isn't technically censorship since they
> didn't prevent the situation before the fact, but it has the same
> result. But I think the idiots that run the "entertainment industry"
> need to stop and think about what they are doing before they do it.
> There is no reason for tits during the super bowl, and no reason for
> sit com characters to call each other douche bags during prime time.

H.L. Mencken once poured his scorn on those busybodies in society who
suffered from 'a terrible, pervasive fear that someone, somewhere, is
having fun.'

Don't televisions in the USA have an 'off' button any more?

Can't parents tell their children 'go read a book'?

This Janet Jackson 'scandal' and the repercussions from it look like so
much nonsense from over here in Europe, I'll tell you. "The whole world
is laughing."

Cheers,

Henry

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Tell me this, what do the Europeans
think about Janet Jackson's brother, Michael, and the railroad ride
he is getting here in the USA right now? He is certainly eccentric,
but his big mistake was when he handed over five cents to that slimy
woman who made the first extortion attempt about ten years ago. That
opened the flood gates for the latest hysterical scene here. Janet and
her wardrobe malfunction was nothing by comparison. PAT]

Go to Next message: shlichter1@aol.com: "Re: Identity Theft, Net Scams Rose in '04-FTC"
Go to Previous message: John McHarry: "Re: AT&T Hangs Up - and Few Are Sorry to Say Goodbye"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "TV "Decency" -- Broadcast vs. Cable"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page