TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?

Re: iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?

LB@notmine.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:02:19 -0500

Monty Solomon wrote:

> Barry L. Ritholtz

> I've been thinking about the iPod Shuffle since its introduction this
> week. The early critique of the newest Pod is its lack of a readout or
> screen -- even a small one -- to see what song is playing or up next.

> The more I think about it, however, the more I think this (valid)
> criticism is misguided. It misses the point entirely. The Shuffle
> isn't supposed to be replacing a full featured MP3 player. Rather, it
> is a substitute for a similar experience of getting music you know and
> like -- on the radio.

> Only you cannot do that anymore. McMusic dominates the airwaves,
> preprogrammed from some fluorescent lit, over airconditioned,
> windowless, soulless dreary office complex somewhere in the bowels of
> Texas.

> You can thank the 1996 telecommunication act for radio's massive
> consolidation -- and really bad music on the radio.

> The iPod Shuffle is yet more evidence of Radio's ongoing decline.
> Recall we first discussed this last July in Radio's Wounded Business
> Model. Barrons picked up the meme weeks later, running a very similar
> criticism.

> Where does that leave the fans of music, people who used to be
> radio listeners?

> The iPod Shuffle. Its the new radio.

> http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/01/ipod_shuffle_ne.html

Is there a way to have the shuttle play through car radio speakers?

LB

Go to Next message: paz5559: "Re: New Treo 650 Is Better Than Ever, But Rivals Offer Alternatives"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: AT&T Looks Beyond 'Number, Please'"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "iPod Shuffle = New Radio ?"