TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Re: Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile

Fred Atkinson (fatkinson@mishmash.com)
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:49:51 GMT

Nor was mine. I didn't imply any conclusion. But, who's to say what
is impossible in this case? I'm simply saying that based upon what I
have read, I believe there is some sort of a problem here. As I
stated, the jury is still out on just how big of a problem this is.
It may only affect three out of three hundred billion or the number
may be greater, much greater, or or it *may* be excessive. We simply
don't have enough data to draw any conclusions about that.

You talk about those thousands of deaths. How many deaths do we have
in the United States each year? What reliable research has been done
to determine whether or not radiation from cell phones are the cause
of any percentage of them? Even so, there's not nearly enough data
(and there won't be for years to come) to draw any solid conclusions
in either direction.

When I hear a cell phone salesperson say there's no danger, he has no
real basis for saying that. I usually tell them so. They immediately
try to discredit me if I say it in front of other potential customers.
What else would a salesman do? Would someone selling candy tell you
that it rots your teeth out? Or would they let someone else influence
their customers in that direction? Not at all. The cigarette
companies are classic examples of that principle. So when you hear
telecommunications people saying there's nothing wrong, you know that
opinion is tainted whether it is true or not.

I think I've heard others here use the term 'it's all about money'.
What if a salesman told them that cell phones rot your teeth out (like
the candy salesman wouldn't do about their product)? Even if it were
true, the salesman wouldn't admit it. Nor would anyone else whose
cash flow would be adversely affected by it. Those who are making
money only tell you what they want you to believe. It might be true
and it might not. I'd never believe a salesman because a good
salesman's opinion *is* tainted. His employer wouldn't consider him
to be a good salesman, otherwise. He's like the defense lawyer, they
try to convince you of what is best for them.

The only argument I'm making here is that we just don't know and it
will be a long time before we know for sure. And I'm not going to put
any stock in what those who may be protecting their bread and butter
say. I want to hear from a more neutral source based upon statistical
data and other solid types of evidence.

I guess I'm the eternal skeptic here.

Regards,

Fred

Go to Next message: William Warren: "Re: MF tones -- What, if Anything, Are They Still Used For?"
Go to Previous message: ao: "Norvergence W-2"
May be in reply to: Marcus Didius Falco: "Don't Allow Under-9s to Use a Mobile"