TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Customer Service: The Hunt for a Human

Re: Customer Service: The Hunt for a Human

desafinado (me@privacy.net)
3 Jan 2005 23:49:45 GMT

Monty Solomon on 1/3/2005 in comp.dcom.telecom wrote:

> By KATIE HAFNER

> TRY to reach customer service at Amazon.com to fix a problem with an
> order and you will encounter one of the most prominent and frustrating
> aspects of the Internet era: a world devoid of humans. Not only is
> there no telephone number on Amazon's Web site, but the company makes
> a point of not including one. Instead, customers are asked to fill out
> an online form and wait for a response.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/30/technology/circuits/30serv.html?ex=1262408400&en=b148bc2e844b6599&ei=5090

This was first reported by PC-World in 2001. Way to go, gray lady.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,55306,00.asp

"So as my first act as I take over this column, let me tell you the
toll-free number for calling Amazon.com's customer service --
800/201-7575 -- because even with a compass and a map, you may
not be able to find it on Amazon's site."

Go to Next message: John McHarry: "Re: Western Electric: What is This Device?"
Go to Previous message: Thomas A. Horsley: "Re: Customer Service: The Hunt for a Human"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Customer Service: The Hunt for a Human"