TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads

Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads

Dave Garland (dave.garland@wizinfo.com)
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:12:00 -0600

It was a dark and stormy night when TELECOM Digest Editor
<ptownson@massis.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> I did not realize '.tc' was assigned to Germany.

It's not. It's assigned to the Turks and Caicos Islands. But
apparently the German registrar owns "us.tc", and it's subdomains of
that they're giving away. (I expect that it's not possible to move to
somebody else's name server, you're not actually getting an IP number
from smartdots but, I think, just some forwarding wizardry.)

> For some reason, I thought that '.de' was their country code.

Quite correct, .de is Germany. But the registrar has presumably they've
paid the .tc government (or whoever has ultimate authority over that
TLD) to purchase "us.tc", "net.tc", "at.tc", "de.tc", etc. A lot of
tiny countries seem to be trying to cash in on their namespace this way.

> Also, I did not think that Google paid any attention to the
> META or HEAD lines on web pages; just the contents of the page.

I'm not sure, but what with your page apparently being in a frame, who
knows what Google looks for. That 'META name="LANGUAGE"
content="DE,german,deutsch"' is an obvious connection to "German", as
the T&C Islands are English-speaking.

Go to Next message: LB@notmine.com: "Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads"
Go to Previous message: Mark Atwood: "Re: USTA Sends Strange Letter to Wal-Mart"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "My High Hopes About Google Ads"