TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads

Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads

LB@notmine.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:55:56 -0500

Jeffrey Mattox wrote:

> Pat:

> [Please withhold my email address for spam reasons.]

> Pat wrote:

>> They claim they ... will only pay for those months on which you get
>> at least one hundred dollars in revenue, and that they 'reserve the
>> right' to not pay that if they choose to charge you for your 'costs'
>> in running their search engine or if they decided you were cheating
>> on them, etc.

>> I have yet to have a single month on which I 'earned' a hundred
>> dollars. The closest I have come was last month (November) in which
>> they admitted (by their calculation which is the only thing they
>> will use) to $98.60. So, of course no check, since it was not the
>> hundred dollars they insist on,...

>> ... I am thinking very seriously about writing off what I have lost
>> on Google Ad Sense unless I can find an attorney willing to sue them
>> to try and collect the approximately two hundred dollars they always
>> find reasons not to pay on, ...

> Pat! Calm down! From the very start, you've expected them to cheat
> you, so you assume they are. Not so. You have grossly misunderstood
> their payment scheme. For one thing, they WILL pay you what you
> earned. They accumulate your earnings from one month to the next
> until you reach $100 or more, then they pay you whatever the balance
> is. It is NOT a minimum $100 per month or you get nothing. They just
> don't want to cut checks for less than $100.

> Second, the charge back only applies to Google Search (not the ads)
> and only to some very large users of their service. This will
> certainly not apply to you. Even to those users, they only charge a
> small fraction of the earnings.

> As to how they calculate the payments, it depends on how much each
> advertiser is willing to pay, and that varies widely from one ad to
> the next. They keep less than half, and pay you the rest. True, they
> don't give you the exact ratios, but people have figured it out and
> there are web sites devoted to this issue. I believe it's about 70/30
> (70% to you, 30% to Google). The amount varies depending on the
> settings the advertiser has put in, and so it's impossible to compute
> in advance what you will earn.

> You are seeing duplicate ads (or no ads) because you are expecting
> them to serve 12 per page. That is too many, and Google (and others)
> suggests you avoid putting that many ads on a page. If you only
> offered up the banner (4 ads), it would look and feel better.

> All this is explained on the Google Adsense site, and I have
> previously suggested you read their FAQ. But, you have repeatedly
> railed against them, so I assume you were convinced from the start
> that they were out to cheat you. You don't need lawyers. You need
> to calm down, wait for your first check, and read their FAQ!

> The only real complaint you have is their estimation that you would
> earn "several hundreds of dollars per month." You are earning about
> [...]

Pat,

It appears Google is like E-bay. Both are 800 pound gorillas that you
do not have to dance with, but since so many folks do dance with you
are stuck with their rules.

To answer some of your "why" questions. Google _does_ have competition
and good business sense says they have every reason to be as quiet as
possible on many things.

It appears you are stuck with the Golden Rule of business:
Those with the Gold make the rules <sigh>

LB

Go to Next message: BobGoudreau@: "Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads"
Go to Previous message: Dave Garland: "Re: My High Hopes About Google Ads"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "My High Hopes About Google Ads"