TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service

DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service

googlenospam@netcrafting.com
20 Dec 2004 11:58:39 -0800

I thought Google readers would like to know this.

When I bought my Sony Directv w/Tivo satellite receiver three years
ago, I also bought the Tivo lifetime subscription for $249.00. It is
still in use and is my only Tivo unit. From 11/2001 to 10/2004, my
monthly satellite service was provided by Pegasus. This happened
because we were in an area that Directv chose to have them service.

Directv took over Pegasus this fall. My most recent billing from
Directv is showing a new monthly fee of $4.99 for Tivo service. When I
called Directv, they said, "Sorry, but we're not honoring the lifetime
Tivo subscriptions purchased when the customer was serviced by
Pegasus.". This is a really bad deal. I called Tivo and they were of
no help. Directv billed me for the lifetime subscription on 12/6/2001
and I paid THEM for it.

I'm on hold waiting to talk to a Directv customer service supervisor
right now. I'll continue this paragraph after I speak with them ...

Just hung up with Kathy at Directv and they said, "Sorry, but that's
the way it is."

I cannot believe this is happening. I thought a lifetime subscription
lasted the lifetime of the Tivo unit? This is not the case for folks
who were serviced by Pegasus. Beware if you buy a lifetime Tivo on
Ebay that was owned by a customer who got their satellite service from
Pegasus.

Signed,

Angry customer in Northern MN.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Someone committed fraud on you. When
you purchase (or otherwise take over) an existing business, then
you take over not only the assets of the existing business, but the
*liabilities* as well, unless the people going *out* of business
specifically publish a notice to the effect otherwise, which is to
afford *you* - the holder of that asset (by virtue of your lifetime
subscription in this case) -- the opportunity to collect on it from
the original owner of the business. Did DirectTV publish a notice
saying 'not responsible for debts of Pegasus' or did Peegasus publish
a notice saying 'going out of business, etc'. Did Pegasus file a
petition in bankruptcy? If so, did they list *all* of their
liabilities, including 'lifetime' (prepaid) subscriptions? You
definitly were defrauded, but collecting on it may be a challenge and
cost more than it is worth. Your legal complaint is with Pegasus,
assuming that DirectTV had no knowledge of any such 'lifetime
subscritions' outstanding through Pegasus. PAT]

Go to Next message: Weston Fire 22: "Motorola MD481 Cordless"
Go to Previous message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "TV Over Phones Attracts Billions in Investment"
May be reply: Tim@Backhome.org: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be reply: jmeissen@aracnet.com: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be reply: Joseph: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be reply: DevilsPGD: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
May be reply: Barry Margolin: "Re: DIrectv Not Honoring Tivo Lifetime Service"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page