TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call

Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call

phoner@company.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:06:01 GMT

Cell phone companies record the tower that handles each call, and then
keep that info for at least a short time.

That came out in the recent arson case in Maryland. The suspect
claimed that he was at home. However, he had a cellphone call during
his alibi time. His provider's records showed that the cell tower
handling his call wasn't near his house.

This had to have been a routine log since the suspect wasn't yet a
suspect at the time of the call.

(Putting my tinfoil hat on:) I have a theory that the location of
every cellphone that is turned on is being routinely recorded, say
every minute, and saved for later data mining. I have no direct
evidence. However, this is technically feasible, and is a logical (to
me) extension of what we know was done decades ago.

Go to Next message: Telecom dailyLead from USTA: "TV Over Phones Attracts Billions in Investment"
Go to Previous message: Neal McLain: "Re: Cable TV Advertising (was 'Transitional Fair Use'...)"
May be reply: Burkitt-Gray: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Dave VanHorn: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Isaiah Beard: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Daniel W. Johnson: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Burkitt-Gray: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Howard Eisenhauer: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
May be reply: Fritz Whittington: "Re: Cell Phone Company Records the Tower Handling Call"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page