TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Trial Shows How Spammers Operate

Re: Trial Shows How Spammers Operate

T. Sean Weintz (strap@hanh-ct.org)
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:40:17 -0500

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In the case of the rule I gave, it will send a message to comcast's
> abuse address whenever mail sent from a dynamically-allocated comcast
> address arrives. There is NO REASON for anyone on a
> dynamically-allocated block to be sending mail directly; mail sent
> from Comcast users should go through their mail server and not from
> their direct address. So the only mail you will ever get from these
> blocks will be spam, mostly from zombie machines.

Not a good idea. Some of the addresses in the Comcast dynamic IP space
are NOT dynamic addesses, but DHCP reservations (that the customer pays
an extra $50 per month for) -- they are not leases -- the IP address is
reserved specifically for that users MAC address until Comcast manually
deletes it. And such addresses have a TOS/AUP that specifically allows
the user to run a mail server. So there IS a legit reason for some folks
to send mail directly from a Comcast IP.

Go to Next message: Ringo Langly: "Re: Dropping SBC For a VoIP Solution -- Vonage or Packet8 ??"
Go to Previous message: Steve Sobol: "Re: Trial Shows How Spammers Operate"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Trial Shows How Spammers Operate"