TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: TV Movie: Category 6 - Day of Destruction

Re: TV Movie: Category 6 - Day of Destruction

Paul A Lee (palee@riteaid.com)
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:07:03 -0500

In TELECOM Digest V23 #547, our Esteemed Editor wrote (in part):

> Did anyone else watch the first part of this two part movie
> on CBS Sunday night[?]

> The movie purported to be about a major disaster in
> Chicago, when a major power outage covering several
> midwestern states takes place on the same day as a major
> storm (converging on the city from *three* directions all at
> once)...

> It was a very frightening movie about what will be the
> consequences of 'global warming' and what will happen if the
> very complex computers which run our interlocking power grid
> go out of order at the same time as a major storm in a large
> metropolitan area.

I tuned in, just to see what kind of ideas would be offered by a
production that apparently offered a "category 6" imaginary extension
of the Saffir-Simpson scale (which only goes to 5). After about 20
minutes, I could no longer stand the smell of the hackneyed "evil
conspiracy of huge corporations causing or taking advantage of natural
disasters to destroy humanity for their own profit" plotline.

I wonder what the reaction would be to a TV movie that depicts a
conspiracy by entertainment companies to present a surfeit of
disinformation about environmental problems, in the guise of
"entertainment", with the goal of distracting the public from the
_real_ issues?

Paul A Lee Sr Telecom Engineer
[let's leave the company name out of this one]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well Paul, the entertainment companies
do that already. You should know that in the movies, everyone and
every idea is fair game for everyone else. These days, truth is very
rare. Everyone's agendas have to come first. For interested parties,
the second half of this movie 'Category 6: Day of Destruction' will
appear on CBS Wednesday night at 8 PM. PAT]

Go to Next message: dold@XReXXUseXC.usenet.us.com: "Re: Use Comcast Cable Modem? Go to Jail! Judy Sammels's Experience"
Go to Previous message: BobGoudreau@withheld: "Re: Chechen Rebel Web Site Reopened"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "TV Movie: Category 6 - Day of Destruction"