TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Establishing Local Access Numbers in US

Re: Establishing Local Access Numbers in US

Scott Dorsey (kludge@panix.com)
10 Nov 2004 09:43:31 -0500

In article <telecom23.539.7@telecom-digest.org>, MK <meshko@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,

> How do comapnies like ISPs roll out hundreds of local access numbers
> all over the country? Do they really have local points of presence all
> over the US? I talked to our phone company but they claim that the
> only option is to do call forwarding but that sounds very, very
> expensive. What is the right way of doing this?

Some of them really do have local POPs all over the country. AOL
certainly does. Sometimes they will get lines extended out of area in
more rural locations, to get a single POP to handle a larger location.

When Netcom still existed, they had a closet in the back of our local
library where their POP hardware resided. They also had them
throughout Europe and it was very nice to be able to go travelling and
call into the Netcom shell machines with a local number in London.

Most smaller ISPs don't have the infrastructure to support this kind
of thing, and so they contract with a POP provider like MegaPOP, that
supplies POP service to a lot of different ISPs.

--scott

Go to Next message: Stanley Cline: "Re: Establishing Local Access Numbers in US"
Go to Previous message: Henry Cabot Henhouse III: "Re: Global Crossing Statement on FCC Action"
May be in reply to: MK: "Establishing Local Access Numbers in US"