TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)

Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)

mc (look@www.ai.uga.edu.for.address)
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:19:23 -0400

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The two extra pins are superflous when
> you have only one phone line; but the catch is _which_ two pins are
> missing. I can only speak about USA-style phones here, but normally,
> the first and fourth pins are used for line 2, while pins two and
> three are used for line 1 on USA installations. The easiest solution
> might be to get a second RJ14 for the splitter's socket, and make it
> identical to the downstairs arrangement. PAT]

Picking up on Pat's suggestion: Suppose the wrong pair is connected.
ADSL signals are radio-frequency and will couple capacitively from one
wire to the next, without a direct electrical connection. That's why,
if you have a 2-pair cable, you can probably get away with connecting
ADSL to one pair and the telephone line to the other. I haven't tried
it, but in theory, it should work.

Go to Next message: David Quinton: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
Go to Previous message: burris: "VOIP Question"
May be in reply to: Jeremy Morton: "I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"