TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)

I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)

Jeremy Morton (ask@me.com)
Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:16:22 GMT

I'm in the UK. We have a master phone socket downstairs, and an
upstairs extension that taps into the main socket by the use of a
splitter plugged into the main socket. The extension plug is an RJ14,
but the splitter's socket is an RJ11 (2 pins instead of 4).

On the downstairs socket, we can use a phone, yet on the upstairs one,
we can't -- we just get no dialtone. But here's the weird thing --
the ADSL connection works fine when the modem's plugged into the
upstairs socket. Any ideas why that might be? I thought the extra
two pins on the RJ14 were superfluous when you only have one phone
line.

Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: The two extra pins are superflous when
you have only one phone line; but the catch is _which_ two pins are
missing. I can only speak about USA-style phones here, but normally,
the first and fourth pins are used for line 2, while pins two and
three are used for line 1 on USA installations. The easiest solution
might be to get a second RJ14 for the splitter's socket, and make it
identical to the downstairs arrangement. PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "iPhone comics"
Go to Previous message: RJ: "Re: Web Radio Stations Set for "Day of Silence" Protest"
May be reply: mc: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be reply: David Quinton: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be reply: mc: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be reply: Jeremy Morton: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be reply: David Quinton: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
May be reply: Dave Garland: "Re: I Have a Telephony Mystery :-)"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page