TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio - TELECOM

Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio - TELECOM

Paul (PSSawyer.does.not.want.spam@comcast.BAD.EXAMPLE.net)
Thu, 17 May 2007 12:36:07 UTC

harold@hallikainen.com <harold@hallikainen.com> wrote in

> On May 15, 8:35 am, hanco...@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

>> Also of course cops on foot had no radios and radios in patrol cars
>> were rare. The film "The Naked City" (1948) shows a detective going
>> into a dangerous situation by himself since HQ had no way to reach
>> him. The suspect escaped, and it was slow spreading the alarm to the
>> beat cops to give chase; they blew whistles to alert each other.
>> Also, back then cops liberally used their fists. (Although apparently
>> back then the allowed use of fists and nightsticks reduced use of the
>> gun.)

> I remember seeing police call boxes on light poles in many cities.
> Also, I used to hear the Los Angeles police dispatch on the "police
> band" right above the AM broadcast band. I suspect this was a one way
> dispatch to the cars and the officers would go to a call box when they
> needed to talk back to the dispatcher.

AM was still being used in the 1960s in NH. The bases would transmit
on 1682 kHz (IIRC), and mobiles would answer on low band FM, e.g.,
37.18 mHz.

All general alerts were on AM, which covered the state, and most teens
I knew found that their car radios could "accidently" receive this ...

Paul

Go to Next message: AES: "Re: Clean Technology Bigger than Internet Claims Bill Joy"
Go to Previous message: Henry: "Re: Telephone Dialing in Old Movies, Police Radio"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page