TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Do Phone Chargers Waste Power?

Re: Do Phone Chargers Waste Power?

Dave Close (dave@compata.com)
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 05:58:28 UTC

Peter Svensson, Associated Press <ap@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> - Q: Does my cell-phone charger consume electricity if I leave it
> plugged in to the wall when it's not charging the phone?

Many newer phones have a connector for a USB cable for transfering
information like address books, calendars, and pictures. USB generally
supplies power. It turns out that many phones will charge while
connected to a USB port on a computer. The USB port consumes no
additional power, beyond what the computer uses, when nothing is
connected to it. So, in addition to saving (a miniscule amount of)
power, using USB to charge a phone saves having to lug the charger
when travelling.

Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Greed is to the moralists of the
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 left what sex is to the moralists
dhclose@alumni.caltech.edu of the right." - Cathy Young

Go to Next message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: Verizon Objects to FCC Rules Preventing Pretexting"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: More on Internet and Patent History"
May be in reply to: Peter Svensson, Associated Press: "Do Phone Chargers Waste Power?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page