TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?

Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 08:36:54 -0500

In article <telecom25.425.10@telecom-digest.org>, dont@bother.com
says:

> AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

>> What's going on here? Response to more and more people shifting to
>> VOIP is to _raise_ their POTS rates? (especially on automated
>> features)

>> What's the agenda behind this?

> Business 101. In a declining market, you raise prices to preserve
> profitability (think cigarettes).

> It's not just VOIP -- that's more a future threat. It started with big
> minute cell phone plans. While the rate of decline has lessened, all
> the wireline carriers are continuing to lose physical lines.

But in both AT&T and Verizon's cases they also have significant cellular
holdings. I guess they can't comingle the funds between the operating
units.

In article <telecom25.425.9@telecom-digest.org>, Sam@coldmail.com
says:

> AES wrote:

>> Just got several mailings re our AT&T residential service in Palo
>> Alto/Stanford CA area announcing *big* rate increases on POTS service:
>> 5% to 10% increases on package plans, up to 30% each on a long list of
>> individual features (Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc. etc).

>> What's going on here? Response to more and more people shifting to
>> VOIP is to _raise_ their POTS rates? (especially on automated
>> features)

>> What's the agenda behind this?

> Those folks run on the same mentality as the Post Office (aka United
> States Postal "Service"). The Postal Service has seen its first class
> mail revenues fail significantly. So, they raise rates to force
> revenues to remain relatively stable.

> Caller ID, for example, is terribly overpriced by the wireline
> carriers. It is part of standard service with wireless and VOIP
> service providers.

> In the case of California those funny folks called the PUC have hated
> Caller ID since its inception (remember, they were the nut cases that
> sued the FCC to stop the implementation of Caller ID). So, if Pacific
> Telephone, a unit of AT&T, nay Pacific Bell, nay SBC, nay AT&T wanted
> to charge $40 a month for Caller ID, the PUC would approve it. It is
> like a cigerette tax to those folks.

The only issue is that caller-ID is mostly useless these days because
there are so many ways to obfuscate ones number. What I find more
amusing is that Bell knew how to do CLID back in 1972. Just took some
time to roll it out.

Go to Next message: harold@hallikainen.com: "Re: AT&T Residential Rate Increases?"
Go to Previous message: Steve Stone: "Re: But They Never Say 'Can You Hear Me Now?'"
May be in reply to: AES: "AT&T Residential Rate Increases?"