TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Court Halts Alleged Web Site Billing Scheme

Re: Court Halts Alleged Web Site Billing Scheme

Al Gillis (alg@aracnet.com)
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:57:04 -0700

Well, Danny, I've always thought the reasons our TelCos tolerate the
slimy people they bill for is that the practice carries "extreme
profits". Not being associated with an operating telephone company I
can only guess, but why else would they allow all the complaints from
customers, and the likely inquiries from state regulatory commissions
and occasional newspaper editorials?

Usually they are quite sensitive to what their customers think of
them, but maybe the post-Ebbers environment has clouded their
thinking?

Al

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote in message

> In <telecom25.324.2@telecom-digest.org> Grant Gross, IDG
> <idg@telecom-digest.org> writes:

> [ snip of yet another phone bill scam operation ]

>> Whether the customers agreed or not to be billed after the trial,
>> their phone bills were often charged. When consumers called to dispute
>> the charges, the operators told them they had "verification
>> recordings" of an employee authorizing the charges.

> It really is about time the telcos _stopped_ enabling (to use a polite
> term) this garbage.

> While there might (and that's a very iffy "might") be some equal
> access issues preventing the telcos from ending all such third party
> billing, they could, and should, _today_, not tomorrow, have the
> following clause in any such billing agreement:

> " if more than X percent of customers complain
> about these charges, all such billing courtesies
> will be immediately frozen".

> Yet they don't do this, even under pressure and after signing
> stipulations with Attorneys General.

> Maybe now that one of the more practical AGs (NYS's Spitzer) is likely
> to become governor, we'll see some handcuffs brought out. That should
> hopefully cut this down.

> Knowledge may be power, but communications is the key
> dannyb@panix.com
> [to foil spammers, my address has been double rot-13 encoded]

Go to Next message: Jim Stewart: "Re: Exploitative Internet Marketing"
Go to Previous message: Reuters News Wire: "Webloyalty, Fandango Named in Lawsuit"
May be in reply to: Grant Gross, IDG: "Court Halts Alleged Web Site Billing Scheme"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page