TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Color 3 Slot Payphones?

Re: Color 3 Slot Payphones?

hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
10 Sep 2006 18:00:44 -0700

Paul Robinson wrote:

> It is possible they were GTE. GTE's clone of AT&T's manufacturing arm
> Western Electric, was called "Automatic Electric" and GTE pay phones
> were beige; I never saw any other color.

Automatic Electric sold equipment to a variety of "independent"
telephone companies, not just GTE.

Anyway, Western Electric did make beige and green pay phones.

It's pretty easy to spot an AE vs WE telephone set: Western Electric
phones have the finger spot at the 3 o'clock position while AE phones
have it at the 5 o'clock position.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Plus which, on (at least the older) AE
rotary dial phones, the dial would return 'faster' when you removed
your finger. WE dials pulsed and clicked their way back. PAT]

Go to Next message: Monty Solomon: "Amazon.com Launches TV, Movie Service"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Newest Airport Regulations Cause Considerable Delay, Inconvenience"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Color 3 Slot Payphones?"