TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

Monty Solomon (monty@roscom.com)
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 02:12:12 -0400

Stolen Lives
Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

By TOM ZELLER Jr.
The New York Times

By the time of Shiva Brent Sharma's third arrest for identity theft,
at the age of 20, he had taken in well over $150,000 in cash and
merchandise in his brief career. After a certain point, investigators
stopped counting.

The biggest money was coming in at the end, postal inspectors said,
after Mr. Sharma had figured out how to buy access to stolen credit
card accounts online, change the cardholder information and reliably
wire money to himself -- sometimes using false identities for which he
had created pristine driver's licenses.

But Mr. Sharma, now 22, says he never really kept track of his
earnings.

"I don't know how much I made altogether, but the most I ever made in
a quick period was like $20,000 in a day and a half or something," he
said, sitting in the empty meeting hall at the Mohawk Correctional
Facility in Rome, N.Y., where he is serving a two- to four-year term.
"Working like three hours today, three hours tomorrow -- $20,000."

And once he knew what he was doing, it was all too easy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/us/04identity.html?ex=1309665600&en=18bc230a1ae1ba06&ei=5088

Go to Next message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - July 05, 2006"
Go to Previous message: Monty Solomon: "AOL Said, 'If You Leave Me I'll Do Something Crazy'"
May be reply: Rick Merrill: "Re: Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page