TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

Re: Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

Rick Merrill (rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com)
Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:49:34 -0400

Monty Solomon wrote:

> Stolen Lives
> Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist

> By TOM ZELLER Jr.
> The New York Times

> By the time of Shiva Brent Sharma's third arrest for identity theft,
> at the age of 20, he had taken in well over $150,000 in cash and
> merchandise in his brief career. After a certain point, investigators
> stopped counting.

> The biggest money was coming in at the end, postal inspectors said,
> after Mr. Sharma had figured out how to buy access to stolen credit
> card accounts online, change the cardholder information and reliably
> wire money to himself -- sometimes using false identities for which he
> had created pristine driver's licenses.

> But Mr. Sharma, now 22, says he never really kept track of his
> earnings.

> "I don't know how much I made altogether, but the most I ever made in
> a quick period was like $20,000 in a day and a half or something," he
> said, sitting in the empty meeting hall at the Mohawk Correctional
> Facility in Rome, N.Y., where he is serving a two- to four-year term.
> "Working like three hours today, three hours tomorrow -- $20,000."

> And once he knew what he was doing, it was all too easy.

> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/us/04identity.html?ex=1309665600&en=18bc230a1ae1ba06&ei=5088

What are you trying to do, recruit more ID thieves?

Go to Next message: John Dearing: "Re: NorVergence Founders Fined For Fraud"
Go to Previous message: Rick Merrill: "Re: AOL Said, 'If You Leave Me I'll Do Something Crazy'"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Identity Thief Finds Easy Money Hard to Resist"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page