TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Confused About Net Neutrality

Re: Confused About Net Neutrality

George Mitchell (george@m5p.com)
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:32:25 -0700

jmartineau@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,

> How is what the telecoms are proposing different? Are they suggesting
> that they should be allowed to arbitrarily limit or increase the
> speeds with which certain sites or traffic can reach me, regardless of
> what that site and I are paying in terms of bandwidth?

It's a less confusing issue than the telecoms are trying to make out.
Robert Cringely has an excellent discussion of the question in this
week's column:

As he explains it, the telecoms are almost solely interested in
creating billable events. If this is correct, then as you
hypothesize, they want to set any number of arbitrary limits so that
they can bill you when you exceed the limits.

George Mitchell

Go to Next message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Campus Fax Finder"
Go to Previous message: John Riddell: "Telecom Update #536, June 20, 2006"
May be in reply to: jmartineau@gmail.com: "Confused About Net Neutrality"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page