TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What is Net Neutrality all About?

Re: What is Net Neutrality all About?

harold@hallikainen.com
17 Jun 2006 18:43:37 -0700

I generally want to buy communications, not content, from a
communications company, so I don't like the "partnering" between
content and connectivity providers. But, I'm wondering if part of the
net neutrality debate can be compared to 800 numbers on the PSTN.
There, companies pay a telecommunications carrier to give preferred
treatment to calls to them over calls to others, in terms of
cost. Could a similar idea be adopted by broadbnad providers? You
normally have to pay say $70 per month to get 6Mbps connectivity. You
only pay for 1Mbps connectivity (maybe $20 per month?). But, a content
provider gives you 6Mbps connectivity when viewing their site, at no
additional charge. The content provider pays the extra charge. Kinda
like an 800 number?

Harold

FCC Rules updated daily at http://www.hallikainen.com

Go to Next message: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: Hiding in Plain Sight, Google Seeks More Power"
Go to Previous message: Raqueeb Hassan: "Re: What is Net Neutrality all About?"
May be in reply to: Various writers: "What is Net Neutrality all About?"