TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Spectrum of a Modem Signal

Re: Spectrum of a Modem Signal

DLR (news22@raleighthings.com)
Tue, 09 May 2006 15:44:43 -0400

mike7411@gmail.com wrote:

> If I plot the spectrum of a short modem signal, what should I expect
> to see?

> It just looks like a lump in the frequency domain, but I'm not sure I
> did it right.

In a way over simplified explanation, most modems these days (dial up
for sure) transmit a series of tones all the time spaced fairly
closely together. These tones are twisted and shifted to allow each
one to carry multiple bit patterns. Thus a spectrum view would
typically show a "lump" of signals running all the time.

Go to Next message: Reed: "Re: Spectrum of a Modem Signal"
Go to Previous message: telecomdirect_daily: "TelecomDirect News Daily Update - Wednesday, May 10, 2006"
May be in reply to: mike7411@gmail.com: "Spectrum of a Modem Signal"