TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?

Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?

darktiger (darktiger@gmail.com)
29 Apr 2006 22:33:22 -0700

Ghazan Haider wrote:

>> I use those RAD AirMux 200 radios for our backhaul - not bad... With
>> the right module you can even run 4x T1 lines over it for voice
>> traffic or whatever...

> Dlink and now Linksys sell APs at 802.11n that can do ~100mbps and
> theoretically 600mbps in time. Jack up the power and add directional
> antennae and I'm golden. Just thought there might be something better
> out there I haven't heard of.

I am just worried about using D-Link and Linksys gear for that type of
a project ... There are three levels:

Home User
Commercial
Carrier

Linksys and D-Link are home user (some will likely not agree with me
on that...). Can you use them? Sure! Will they work? Sure ... For a
bit ...

We are an ISP and before I was hired they were using D-Link and Linksys
5-port switches and diffferent locations ... Once I installed some
CISCO switches our performance went up 500%+ -- just because it states
speed X does not mean it is really that fast. I checked the data sheet
for the Linksys 802.11n radio -- it only has 10/100Mbps ports ... So the
maximum wired-to-wireless speed would be 200Mbps (upload = 100Mbps -
download = 100Mbps).

Go to Next message: Koos van den Hout: "Re: California Okays Broadband Over Power Lines Test"
Go to Previous message: Barry Margolin: "Re: Dial-up Provider Loses Net Access Amid Fee Dispute / Ruling"
May be in reply to: Ghazan Haider: "What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page