TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Dial-up Provider Loses Net Access Amid Fee Dispute / Ruling

Re: Dial-up Provider Loses Net Access Amid Fee Dispute / Ruling

Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu)
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:19:26 -0400

In article <telecom25.163.3@telecom-digest.org>, Monty Solomon
<monty@roscom.com> wrote:

> Dial-up provider loses Net access amid fee dispute
> Ruling favoring Verizon may hike price of service

> By Keith Reed, Globe Staff

> Service to thousands of dial-up Internet users in Massachusetts was
> disrupted this week after a federal court ruled against a Quincy
> company in a lawsuit that could have broad impact on the cost of
> dial-up service.

> The US Court of Appeals in Boston ruled April 11 that Verizon
> Communications Inc. can charge per-minute fees for calls to local
> numbers that dial-up users need to connect to the Internet -- in much
> the same way that they charge for long-distance or other calls.

> The ruling came after Verizon sued Global NAPs Inc., a Quincy company
> that supplies local numbers to 28 Internet service providers for use
> by their dial-up customers.

I don't understand this. Aren't the fees based on the telephone
customer's calling plan? The unlimited calling plans in MA list the
exchanges that you can call within your flat rate.

> Verizon claims it is owed more than $65 million by Global NAPs.

What does this have to do with how Verizon charges their customers?

Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think Verizon believes Global NAPs
Inc. is a subscriber to their telephone service (via the dial up
numbers used by Global NAP end user customers.) Does Verizon in MA
offer unlimited flat rate service to businesses or just to resiences?
If Verizon offers unlimited flat rate service plans to everyone, then
it should not matter. If they only offer unlimited flat rate service
plans to residential customers (i.e. the end users of Global) then it
still should not matter. I suspect Verizon is annoyed about the amount
of service being consumed by the end users. PAT]

Go to Next message: darktiger: "Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
Go to Previous message: Associated Press News Wire: "County Considers Wireless Network"
May be in reply to: Monty Solomon: "Dial-up Provider Loses Net Access Amid Fee Dispute / Ruling"