TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Joshua Putnam (josh@phred.org)
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:03:19 -0700

In article <telecom25.159.10@telecom-digest.org>, rweller@h-e.com
says:

> Josh,

> DNC is, presumably, the Democratic National Committee. Did you ever
> donate money to the DNC or one of its daughter PACs?

No, but even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have given them my cell
phone number as a contact.

> Even if you don't have a "business relationship" with them, it is
> not clear to me whether the "do not call" requirement of the
> Telephone Consumer Privacy Act (TCPA) would apply to a PAC. It
> would not surprise me that the US Congress, when it wrote the TCPA,
> would carve out some exemption for PACs.

I suppose it could really be the Democratic National Committee, if
they're trying to annoy people into voting Republican. But it seems
like such a shady operation (endless hang-up calls, calling cell phone
numbers, hard-to-identify voice mail, etc.) that I find it hard to
believe it's really that DNC. They aren't *that* clueless, are they?

josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
Updated Bicycle Touring Books List:
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tourbooks.html>

Go to Next message: Reuters News Wire: "California Okays Broadband Over Power Lines Test"
Go to Previous message: Justa Lurker: "Re: PBS/Sony High Definition Production Pilot Program"
May be in reply to: Joshua Putnam: "Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?"