TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Re: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?

Bob Goudreau (BobGoudreau@notchur.biz)
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:36:18 -0400

[Please anonymize my address as usual. Thanks.]

Joshua Putnam <josh@phred.org> wrote:

> In article <telecom25.159.10@telecom-digest.org>, rweller@h-e.com
> says:

>> Josh,

>> DNC is, presumably, the Democratic National Committee. Did you ever
>> donate money to the DNC or one of its daughter PACs?

> No, but even if I had, I certainly wouldn't have given them my cell
> phone number as a contact.

>> Even if you don't have a "business relationship" with them, it is
>> not clear to me whether the "do not call" requirement of the
>> Telephone Consumer Privacy Act (TCPA) would apply to a PAC. It
>> would not surprise me that the US Congress, when it wrote the TCPA,
>> would carve out some exemption for PACs.

> I suppose it could really be the Democratic National Committee, if
> they're trying to annoy people into voting Republican. But it seems
> like such a shady operation (endless hang-up calls, calling cell phone
> numbers, hard-to-identify voice mail, etc.) that I find it hard to
> believe it's really that DNC. They aren't *that* clueless, are they?

Err, maybe I'm the only one that picked up on this, but it seemed
clear to me from the original posts that that the "DNC Hotline" was a
"D[o] N[ot] C[all]" hotline set up by the company in question (whoever
they are), ostensibly to comply with the TCPA. Nothing to do with
politics, in other words.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC

Go to Next message: Ben Schilling: "RE: Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?"
Go to Previous message: darktiger: "Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?"
May be in reply to: Joshua Putnam: "Who is 888-695-9405, and Why do They Keep Calling Me?"