TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular

Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular

John Levine (johnl@iecc.com)
21 Apr 2006 19:50:00 -0000

> What this means is that if the wireless carrier gets numbers from rate
> center A, wireline customers in rate center A will be able to port to
> wireless and vice versa. Wireline customers in rate centers B, C, and
> D will not be able to port to or from wireless because the wireless
> carrier isn't present in their rate center.

Really? My tiny ILEC says our numbers are portable to wireless, but
there are no prefixes in their rate centers but theirs.

I was under the impression that you really only need to be present in
the LATA, not in the rate center, for portability to work. You just
need to be able to provide a routing number for the portability
database and as far as I can tell the routing number need not be in
the same rate center as the original number. There's certainly no
technical reason it has to be.

Inbound calls will still be rated as calls to the original rate
center, but cellular and VoIP carriers don't care.

R's,

John

Go to Next message: Vientus: "Re: MySpace Hires Child Safety Expert From Microsoft"
Go to Previous message: Robert Bonomi: "Re: Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular"
May be in reply to: xx-google@telefog.com: "Number Portability: POTS, VoIP, and Cellular"