TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?

Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?

Wesrock@aol.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:36:52 EDT

In a message dated 19 Apr 2006 07:21:54 -0700, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com
writes:

> For example, signs for a cab company in a small town still had the
> old 5 digit number rather than the current 7 digit number. So, the
> sign/fence could've been installed well after the conversion.

Many small towns required only four- or five-digit dialing locally
long after the "conversion" took place. By "long," I mean 10 or 15
years or more.

And in many towns with only one prefix, even if dialing it was
mandatory, it was the custom to give only the digits required.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That is precisely how things are done
here in Independence. Our phone numbers are given as four digits,
with the 620-331 portion assumed. Bur everyone knows to dial at least
seven digits locally or ten/eleven for long distance. Those few
instances of 620-330 or 620-332 numbers are usually given out in full,
but they are quite rare. PAT]

Go to Next message: Patrick Townson: "Network Neutrality"
Go to Previous message: Julian Thomas: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be in reply to: Stephen Greenfield: "When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?"