TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

Julian Thomas (blackhole@jt-mj.net)
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:58:29 -0400

In <20060420024859.C2667158CF@massis.lcs.mit.edu>, on 04/19/06 at
10:48 PM, editor@telecom-digest.org typed:

> I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a
> download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

> However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a 56k
> modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect to
> freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

> As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL
> connection?

Probably not a lot of correlation. There are a number of reasons why
a dialup connection might be slow -- involving CO characteristics, and
any line concentrators or remote D to A converters used to group
multiple subscriber lines onto one high speed link to the CO.

Julian Thomas: http://jt-mj.net
In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!
Warpstock X - October 12-15 2006; Windsor, Ont. I'll be there - will you?

COFFEE.EXE Missing - Insert Cup and Press Any Key

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: When Did 2L-5N Become Required in Los Angeles?"
Go to Previous message: DLR: "Re: Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"
May be in reply to: Harry Dodsworth: "Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?"