TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Amber alerts

Re: Amber alerts

Wesrock@aol.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:16:59 EDT

In a message dated Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:54:52 EDT,
editor@telecom-digest.org writes, in a note to a posting by Wes
Leatherock (Wesrock@aol.com):

> Chief of Police Lee Bynum (or his designate, the only persons who are
> authorized to send out an Amber Alert) managed to get word out not
> only to our own cable system (really, it is just a matter of 'flipping
> a switch' in police HQ in our instance) but also got the word to Cox
> Cable which handles C'Ville (and some Oklahoma places?).

Cox serves both the Tulsa and Oklahoma City metropolitan areas. They
are dumping the smaller places on other carriers.

But what role does Cox have in putting out the word? On the Oklahoma
City area they have one channel of their own (for which they provide
the programming, which may or may not be locally originated) but this
would be good only for reaching the people watching that channel,
usually a pretty small audience.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, I know that _our_ cable channel 2
is the NBC (?) affiliate from Tulsa on its (over the air) channel 2.
They had a 'crawl message' which went on for thirty or forty minutes
Tuesday morning. Our cable channel 3 is Tulsa's Fox outlet on its
(over the air) channel 23. They also had the same crawl message and
pictures, etc. By the way, the young lady managed to escape her
abductors sometime late Tuesday evening and was back home today. The
whole situation has sort of an unusual odor to it; I am not quite
sure what it is or what happened at this point. PAT]

Go to Next message: DLR: "Re: What Happened to Me"
Go to Previous message: Jim Rusling: "Re: Bell System Photo by Ansel Adams"
May be in reply to: Wesrock@aol.com: "Amber alerts"