TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Me

Re: What Happened to Me

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 09:42:58 EDT

In a message dated Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:31:49 -0400,
editor@telecom-digest.org writes in a note added to a message from DLR
<news22@raleighthings.com>:

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I understand the _height_ of buildings
> in a community make a difference also. For instance, I have never seen
> nor heard of a tornado in downtown Chicago (for example; is it even
> possible?) nor in Manhattan, NY. I _assume_ it may have something to
> do with the overall height on average of the buildings. Am I correct
> on that?

That used to be the theory, but various tornadoes since then have
provided examples where this did not appear to be true.

The first example was a tornado that hit the tallest buildings in
downtown Waco, Texas, and caused severe destruction. This was in the 1950s.

Several years ago a tornado went right through downtown Fort Worth,
Texas, and battered the downtown buildings. One skyscraper--I think
it was the Bank One tower was so badly damaged it was never reoccupied
and posed a hazard. Just within the last month or two it was torn
down, perhaps imploded, after years of trying to decide what to do
about it.

Examples are fairly rare, probably because the path of a tornado is so
narrow that the odds of it hitting a downtown area of a city would be
pretty small, the same as it is for any other specific place.
Downtown areas are a pretty small percentage of the total area of the
earth.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com

Go to Next message: Koos van den Hout: "Re: What do Cellphones Talk About?"
Go to Previous message: T: "Re: What Happened to Me"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "What Happened to Me"