TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: What Happened to Me

Re: What Happened to Me

T (nospam.kd1s@cox.nospam.net)
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:40:59 -0400

In article <telecom25.131.9@telecom-digest.org>, henry999@eircom.net
says:

> You know of course that the cell phone system in Europe is different
> from the US. Here, there are signs at the front door of all hospitals
> (and in many places inside) saying 'Mobile phones MUST be switched
> off'. The idea is that they can interfere with various medical
> equipment. I don't know if that is true, or if it is like the
> prohibition on airplanes -- but in any case, that's the rule. And most
> people follow it.

> Having said that -- my wife is a nurse and in her hospital the staff
> do have cell phones. They are called DECT and apparently they use a
> sub-set of the frequency band that is sure to not conflict with all
> the monitors, analyzers, etc. in the building.

> Can the public use their own personal mobile phones in American
> hospitals?

Interesting. I recently had to visit my ailing grandmother in the
ntensive care unit of a local hospital. No warnings about cell phones
and in fact saw staff use them.

So I'd say yes, we can use our cell phones in hospitals.

In article <telecom25.131.10@telecom-digest.org>, news22
@raleighthings.com says:

> John McHarry wrote:

> Moto and others sell cell phone technology based private systems. They
> work especially well in places like hospitals. Look for little 1' or
> shorter antennas in the halls. The nice thing about cell technology is
> that it can be designed for a limited area such as a hospital and the
> surrounding support businesses. And can easily have multiple places
> tied together.

We've had little mini tornadoes here in RI. Some have knocked bricks off
buildings, etc. But those are few and far between.

Go to Next message: Wesrock@aol.com: "Re: What Happened to Me"
Go to Previous message: Dailhart: "How to Dial a Toll-Free Number Using a Calling Card"
May be in reply to: TELECOM Digest Editor: "What Happened to Me"