TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Remembering Old Zenith Numbers

Re: Remembering Old Zenith Numbers

Wesrock@aol.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:43:01 EDT

In a message dated Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:43:15 GMT,
af877@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Harry Dodsworth) writes:

> The Air Canada timetable for 25 Oct., 1970 lists five digit Zenith
> numbers for many localities in Ontario and Quebec.

> In the United States, most Enterprise and Zenith numbers were four
> digits; some of each were five digit and some Florida places had a
> seven digit Enterprise number. A few places (N.J. and FL) used WX and
> four digits.

> Boise, Idaho was listed as EN 722, possibly a typo, the only three
> digit number.

My Enterprise number for Konawa, Oklahoma, was Enterprise 287,
as I recall. It terminated on my business number, 234. Yes, 234 was a
local number in a dial exchange. Terminal-per-line. Party lines had
four digit numbers in the 4xxx series, the last digit denoting the
party ringing.

Three- and four-digit Enterprise numbers were not unusual in those
days.

Wes Leatherock
wesrock@aol.com
wleathus@yahoo.com

Go to Next message: daryl.gibson@gmail.com: "Re: Remembering Old Zenith Numbers"
Go to Previous message: semenzato@gmail.com: "AT&T Doesn't Like My Last Name"
May be in reply to: Chris Farrar: "Remembering Old Zenith Numbers"