TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Music on Hold, Digital Player

Re: Music on Hold, Digital Player

Bob Vaughan (techie@tantivy.tantivy.net)
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:10:59 UTC

In article <telecom25.106.14@telecom-digest.org>, Klay Anderson
<klay@klay.com.remove> wrote:

> In article <telecom25.105.3@telecom-digest.org>, Mr4Sale
> <speichts@gmail.com> wrote:

>> We've been using a CD/MP3 player, with a CDROM for our music on hold.
>> Needless to say, after awhile running 7/24 for a couple of uses in an
>> infinite loop it's starting to act up. I was thinking of moving to an
>> MP3 player instead (no moving parts) this time. But we'd need one
>> with an external power supply and one that could loop one track.

> As the above is technically illegal, why not subscribe to and use XM Radio?

Please explain why this would be illegal?

The playing of music on hold is not illegal.

The problem arises when the music being played is copyrighted, and the
rights are owned by others, without the proper licensing.

Licensed music is available for this purpose, and of course you would
always record your own music, either an original composition, or a
classical or traditional piece for which there is no copyright.

This discussion has made no mention of the actual content, so we don't
know what is being played, or what the potential copyright issues
might be.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Go to Next message: Michael D. Sullivan: "Re: Buffalo NY 25 hz Power"
Go to Previous message: Carl Navarro: "Re: Rotary Service Primary in World?"
May be in reply to: Mr4Sale: "Music on Hold, Digital Player"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page