TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Rotary Service Primary in World?

Re: Rotary Service Primary in World?

Carl Navarro (cnavarro@wcnet.org)
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:38:41 -0500

On 16 Mar 2006 08:11:19 -0800, hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com wrote:

> I get the impression that almost all countries use Touch Tone service
> on their telephones. For places that never had much landline service
> to begin with, people are heavy into cellular, which of course is
> Touch Tone. (Apparently in an undeveloped place it's cheap to build a
> new cellular network than landline since stringing wires
> house-to-house and store-to-store are not required.)

> Anyway, I was wondering if there were any places where legacy rotary
> dial switchgear was still the primary method of handling calls. I
> tend to doubt it since electronics are so much cheaper and easier to
> maintain. Rotary equipment required skilled maintenance.

We just had this same discussion on Monday and I wonder the same
thing. SxS equipment is huge and bulky, and you can put 1000 lines in
a box the size of a 4 cubic foot refrigerator, that will use less
power and require no maintenance except to keep it environmentally
warm/cool and dust free.

Just where does all of that Step equipment go?

Carl Navarro

Go to Next message: Bob Vaughan: "Re: Music on Hold, Digital Player"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Re: Is This Phone Monopoly Legal?"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Rotary Service Primary in World?"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page