TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle

Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle

Mark Roberts (markrobt@myrealbox.com)
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 03:38:35 -0000

Wesrock@aol.com <Wesrock@aol.com> had written:

> In a message dated Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:48:20 -0500, Paul A Lee
> <palee@riteaid.com> writes:

>> Michigan has a "thumb" (between Saginaw Bay and Lake Huron), and
>> Virginia has a "toe" (roughly, the portion between Kentucky and
>> Tennessee -- or roughly the area included in NPA 276, to include at
>> least a nominal telecom reference).

>> And the portion of Pennsylvania that borders Lake Erie is sometimes
>> referred to as the "chimney corner".

>> There are undoubtedly other colorfully named territorial divisions.

> One them is the "boot heel" or "bootheel" of Missouri, a more common
> name for what somebody said was called Missouri's panhandle.

Actually, it's the only term for the Bootheel. Absolutely no one I
know of in Missouri (a state that I lived in for almost 40 years)
would call it the "panhandle". Ever.

What is odd is that a name never was given to the section of Missouri
that was added by the Platte Purchase.

Mark Roberts |"Weblogs, the toilet walls of the internet. (What on earth
Oakland, Cal.| gives every computer owner the right to exude their opinion,
NO HTML MAIL | unasked for?....)" -- Jean-Remy von Matt (who since apologized)
Permission to archive this article in any form is hereby explicitly denied.

Go to Next message: Justa Lurker: "Re: PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle"
Go to Previous message: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "Toll Rates 1956"
May be in reply to: Mark: "PanhandleGateway.com -- Your Gateway to WV's Eastern Panhandle"