TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Last Laugh! Reminds Me of a (Highlights for Children?) Cartoon

Re: Last Laugh! Reminds Me of a (Highlights for Children?) Cartoon

Matt Simpson (msimpson@uky.edu)
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:32:39 -0500

Digest Editor wrote:

> On this same topic, what do you think about the effort to repeal the
> 25th Amendment (the one limiting the president to two terms in office)
> in order to allow Bush to run again in 2008,

At this point, I would think the Bush gang needs to worry more about
2006 than 2008. With current trends, it's beginning to look possible
to have enough turnover in Congress this year to make impeachment
likely.

And, to get this back on the telecom topic, here's a UPI article
someone sent me yesterday that doesn't seem to be getting much notice:

Whistleblower Says NSA Violations Bigger
UPI

Tuesday 14 February 2006

Washington - A former NSA employee said Tuesday there is another
ongoing top-secret surveillance program that might have violated
millions of Americans' Constitutional rights.

Russell D. Tice told the House Government Reform Subcommittee on
National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations he has
concerns about a "special access" electronic surveillance program that
he characterized as far more wide-ranging than the warrentless
wiretapping recently exposed by the New York Times but he is forbidden
from discussing the program with Congress.

Tice said he believes it violates the Constitution's protection
against unlawful search and seizures but has no way of sharing the
information without breaking classification laws. He is not even allowed
to tell the congressional intelligence committees -- members or their
staff -- because they lack high enough clearance.

Neither could he brief the inspector general of the NSA because that
office is not cleared to hear the information, he said.

Subcommittee Chairman Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn., and Dennis
Kucinich, D-Ohio, said they believe a few members of the Armed Services
Committee are cleared for the information, but they said believe their
committee and the intelligence committees have jurisdiction to hear the
allegations.

"Congressman Kucinich wants Congressman Shays to hold a hearing (on
the program)," said Doug Gordon, Kucinich's spokesman. "Obviously it
would have to take place in some kind of a closed hearing. But Congress
has a role to play in oversight. The (Bush) administration does not get
to decide what Congress can and can not hear."

Tice was testifying because he was a National Security Agency
intelligence officer who was stripped of his security clearance after he
reported his suspicions that a former colleague at the Defense
Intelligence Agency was a spy. The matter was dismissed by the DIA, but
Tice pressed it later and was subsequently ordered to take a
psychological examination, during which he was declared paranoid. He is
now unemployed.

Tice was one of the New York Times sources for its wiretapping
story, but he told the committee the information he provided was not
secret and could have been provided by an private sector electronic
communications professional.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I believe there is a provision to tell
certain select details to members of the committee 'en camera', just
as certain secrets can be told to judges in courts only for the
purpose of providing proper context to the topic. 'En camera' means
that _whatever_ the details are which are being revealed, those same
details cannot be shared with the general public, for example
newspaper reporters, etc. The judges in those few cases are under
considerable restraint to _not_ discuss nor even acknowledge the 'en
camera' proceedings. This happens occassionally when a patent lawyer
for example has a dispute and the court has to review the details.
PAT]

Go to Next message: Angus TeleManagement Group: "Telecom Update #517, February 17, 2006"
Go to Previous message: Henry: "Re: Last Laugh! Bush in 2008"
May be in reply to: Carl Moore: "Last Laugh! Reminds Me of a (Highlights for Children?) Cartoon"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page