TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cost of POTS, w/o Long Distance

Re: Cost of POTS, w/o Long Distance

Ken Abrams (k_abrams@[REMOVETHIS])
Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:45:50 GMT

<GarsDuBell@aol.com> wrote:

> On a BellSouth POTS line, if no long distance carrier is assigned, a
> long distance call cannot be dialed accidentally using 1 + 10 digits,
> but you can dial long distance by dialing 101 + the carrier code + 10
> digits. The only way to avoid this is to pay for a restricted line,
> which is several dollars more per month.

I think this is pretty much the norm but is somewhat different than
what I was commenting on. The situation you describe would certainly
NOT result in the call being assigned to a "random carrier".

>> LD call should, even by accident, be placed from your phone, you may
>> find yourself assigned to a random carrier for that call, and this
>> carrier will bill you at an unbelievably high per minute rate.

As was pointed out in another reply, the only way I see this happening
is if the LEC screws up and actually assigns you to a "random" carrier
when you really wanted none.

Go to Next message: Tony P.: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
Go to Previous message: USTelecom dailyLead: "Shift to IPTV gains momentum"
TELECOM Digest: Home Page