TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication

Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication

Thomas Lapp (thomas@nospammenno.com)
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:33:27 -0500

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: That report from West Virginia was one
> of the saddest things I have ever read. WV, one of the poorest states
> in the union earns much of its living in the coal mines, a dirty job
> and dangerous by anyone's standards. Wasn't there a popular song

As one who grew up in West Virginia, I find it still common belief
that the image of WV in the 1940s is what people think of when they
think of WV. Fortunately, time and West Virginia have marched on.
While WV is still a producer of coal, and there are counties in which
unemployment is at very high levels, West Virginia has a lot more
going for it. West Virginia is the home of a large IRS processing
center. It is the home of a large FBI facility. Even NASA does
significant business in the state. I should also mention that WV was
one of the first states to provide a computer network statewide
connecting all of its state educational institutions. The eastern
panhandle of the state is quickly becoming a bedroom community for
commuters to Washington DC. West Virginia University has long waiting
lists for its programs in criminal forensics (think: CSI) and Physical
Therapy. There was a very good reason that Randy was taken to Ruby
Memorial hospital for initial treatment. It is one of the premier
teaching and trauma centers in the region. And for those who are
sports fans, you already know that West Virginia University's football
team is ranked in the top five in the nation.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: You _are_ correct; many people still
think of WV in the 'olden days' rather than as it is becoming now.
Thank you very much for helping to educate us. PAT]

Go to Next message: Katherine Shrader: "Public Wants Court to Okay Wiretaps"
Go to Previous message: Bob Alan: "Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"
May be in reply to: hancock4@bbs.cpcn.com: "The Hazards of Instant Communication"