TELECOM Digest OnLine - Sorted: Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Re: Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance

Bob Alan (t5@soalex.us)
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:48:50 -0500

> you may find yourself assigned to a random carrier

Wow did you just open my eyes, cause I can see my wife doing that ...

BobT <fake@invalid.net> wrote in message

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:08:04 -0500, Bob Alan <t5@soalex.us> wrote:

> Hello,

> I recently switched to VOIP but kept my old POTS line for back-up.

> I use the VOIP for all my LD calls. Am I correct that even though I'm
> not using my 3rd party LD provider that I had with my POTS service
> that I'm still paying some form of a month connection fee to the POTS
> provider?

Many (most?) LD providers do not have a recurring periodic minimum fee
for their most basic service, although they often do for more advanced
types of service. You can contact your local ILEC and remove any LD
preferred carrier arrangement, if you wish. This should prevent any
recurring fee, if there was one in the first place, but the
disadvantage is that if a LD call should, even by accident, be placed
from your phone, you may find yourself assigned to a random carrier
for that call, and this carrier will bill you at an unbelievably high
per minute rate.

Go to Next message: Thomas Lapp: "Re: The Hazards of Instant Communication"
Go to Previous message: Anthony Bellanga: "Long Distance Dialarounds"
May be in reply to: Bob Alan: "Cost of POTS w/o Long Distance"